Like every other machine, your air conditioner has a finite lifespan. So, whether your system is getting on in years or you’re shelling out a lot of money on frequent repairs, our experts can recommend the most efficient and affordable replacement that’s perfect for your home and family. Remember the name Vetted HVAC Services and call when your AC is dying.
If your home or apartment doesn’t have ductwork, you can still get cool thanks to a ductless mini-split AC system.
How to Know When You Need AC Replacement?
There are many mechanical and electrical components that go into your air conditioner, which means there are many potential problems that can develop over time. And while most people would rather repair a unit instead of shelling out the money for a new one, sometimes replacing is the best option. Here’s what you should know.
- Replace the unit if the repair frequency increases every year.
- Replace the air conditioner if it has lost efficiency, and your energy bills are going up.
- Replace your AC if it’s over 15 years old.
- Replace your AC if the cost of the repair is 50% or more than the cost of purchasing a new one.
If you’re still not sure whether it’s better to repair or replace your current air conditioner, call the experts at Vetted HVAC Services for a consultation.
6 Signs That Your Air Conditioner Is Failing
Imagine turning on your air conditioner on the first hot day of summer only to find out it’s blowing warm air or won’t kick on at all. Unfortunately, many Yorkton residents experience this scenario. You can avoid system failure by keeping an eye out for warning signs that your AC is going downhill and that you need to call for a repair. Here are a few things to watch for.
- Warm Air: When the AC blows warm air, it could be a compressor or refrigerant problem.
- Weak Airflow: A lack of airflow could mean blockages in your ducts or a more serious issue like the blower.
- Thermostat Not Working: The brains of your AC is the thermostat, which tells the system how to keep the desired temperature. If you’re too hot or cold, it could mean your thermostat is broken.
- Odd Sounds: Most air conditioners make some noise when operating, but when you hear something out of the ordinary, such as squealing or grinding, it could be a belt that is coming undone.
- Foul Odours: If the smell of something burning comes out of your AC, it could mean burned out wiring insulation. Also, if the air smells musty, it could be that mould has built up in the system.
- Frequent Repairs: If you’re calling for repairs to your AC every few months, you will likely need a replacement soon.
If your air conditioner fails to keep you comfortable or exhibits any of the above warning signs, call Vetted HVAC Services for an inspection.
An AC refrigerant leak can be dangerous. Call us right away at the first sign of trouble.
How Long Does an Air Conditioner Last?
Modern air conditioners are designed to last longer than ever, but like all machines, they eventually wear out and require replacing.
The average system can last up to 20 years with proper care and maintenance, but failing to do that will decrease its lifespan and cause it to run inefficiently.
To keep your AC in tip-top shape, perform regular maintenance like changing the filters, cleaning the unit, checking for clogs in the condensate drain, and straightening any bent fins. Also, call a professional in the spring for a tune-up to ensure your system is functioning as it should and is ready for summer work.