A fire at your property can quickly turn dangerous - and even deadly. To give your family and occupants of your building the best opportunity to vacate the building safely, it’s important to have working smoke detectors.
When you need smoke detectors installed in your Yorkton, SK home, or building, call Vetted HVAC Services. Our licensed technicians can ensure each device is functioning properly and is installed in the right areas to keep your property safe and up-to-code. Book an appointment with us to experience our next-level customer service.
Are you struggling to find a charging station for your electric vehicle? Install a station at your home! Call our experts to learn about our electric vehicle charging station services.
Importance of Having Functioning Smoke Detectors
Your family and building occupants rely on your smoke detectors to let them safely evacuate the property in the event of a fire. To ensure your devices are protecting your household and building, follow these tips:
- Test each monitor at least once a month.
- Make sure you have the right amount of devices installed in your property.
- Place a monitor outside each bedroom in your house.
- Install a device on each floor of the building or home.
- Install monitors that are connected, so if one alarm sounds they all do to ensure they can be heard throughout the property.
- Install units with strobe lights in buildings to alert anyone with hearing issues to the fire.
- Hire an electrician to correctly install the alarms and check on their functionality.
Signs You Need New Smoke Detectors
You need functioning smoke detectors in your home or building at all times to keep your family safe. If they are not functioning, the devices can be useless in the event of a fire. To keep everyone safe, watch for signs that you need new smoke detectors installed in your home or building. These can include:
- Replace your property’s smoke detectors at least every 10 years, as recommended by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). If your devices are older, or you’re not sure when they were installed, hire an electrician to inspect the units and replace them if needed.
- False alarms. If your devices start to give off false alarms it can signal an issue with a sensor. Have an electrician inspect the units to determine if they should be replaced.
Protect your family from carbon monoxide leaks! Contact us to learn about our carbon monoxide detector services.
How To Test Your Smoke Detectors
Smoke detectors are only useful if they work properly. To ensure they are working, test them regularly:
- First, make sure everyone in the household is aware of the test.
- Then, position someone in the household at a point farthest away from the smoke detector. This will help determine if the alarm can be heard throughout the entire house, or if more devices need to be installed.
- Finally, press the test button on the device and listen for the high-pitched alarm. While you are up by the alarm, it can be a good time to replace the batteries if they have not been changed within 6 months.