Here in Yorkton, many residents and businesses rely on boilers for their heating because they’re efficient and provide even heat. However, like other heating systems, boilers develop problems too. If your boiler isn’t providing the heat it once did, or if it’s exhibiting signs of failure, call Vetted HVAC Services for help.
Our furnace repairs ensure that your furnace is ready to do battle with Old Man Winter!
Boiler Heater Advantages
If you’re considering a new furnace or heater, stop and think about replacing that with a boiler heating system.
Boiler heating systems offer many advantages over their gas and electric counterparts.
Instead of heating air and forcing it through a system of ducts, the boiler heats water and pumps it through tubes in the floor or through radiators. As the heated water flows through these pipes and radiators, the heat dissipates into the room.
The advantage of this method is that it’s more efficient because air doesn’t hold heat very well, which means forced-air systems must work harder to keep the same temperature as a boiler. Also, the water warms up more quickly than air and retains heat much longer.
If you’re in the market for a new heating system and haven’t considered a boiler before, contact us at Vetted HVAC Services for help.
Most Common Boiler Issues
Like furnaces, the average boiler runs without issue for many years, but like all heating systems, the boiler can develop problems and break down because of age or lack of upkeep. Below are the most common issues we see with boilers and when to call for boiler repair.
- Low Pressure: When the pressure of the boiler is too low, it can’t provide the heat required. Low pressure often results from leaks in the system or a broken pressure valve.
- No Heat from Radiators: Sludge buildup is the cause of cold spots in radiators, and makes for poor heat distribution.
- Strange Noises: Whistling, gurgling, or popping sounds coming out of the boiler indicate air in the system or a pump that’s going bad.
- Inconsistent Heat or Hot Water: If you’re getting inconsistent heat it’s likely a thermostat issue.
- Leaks: A variety of issues lead to boiler leaks, including broken internal components or seals.
- Kettling: If you hear loud noises from your boiler, it could be kettling, which happens when lime scale builds up inside and blocks water flow.
Don’t ignore boiler problems. Call Vetted HVAC Services at the first sign of trouble.
For efficient and even heating, consider a radiant heating system for your home.
Yorkton Boiler Maintenance
To ensure your boiler functions properly, you must conduct routine maintenance on it. Regular checkups also reduce the risk that the system will fail and it keeps operating costs low. Here’s a simple checklist to use to make sure your boiler is in great shape.
- Inspect around the boiler for leaking water.
- Make sure the area around the boiler is free from any obstruction.
- Check temperatures and pressures to make sure they’re in the desired range.
- If your boiler has a display panel, check for error codes.
- Make sure the vent termination isn’t blocked.
- Listen for any unusual sounds coming from your system.
- Examine the pressure relief valve and the discharge pipe.
- Check the drain line, PVC fittings and the drain system for blockages.
- Call a professional for a tune-up and maintenance.