Imagine waking up in the middle of the night to a freezing home because your heater gave out. Now, think about that happening during a weekend or holiday when you’re unlikely to be able to get a repair crew to answer the phone. Whatever heater issue you have, whenever you have it, you can count on the pros at Vetted HVAC Services and our 24/7 emergency support.
When it’s time for a new furnace, check out our furnace installation services and let us help you choose the right model for your home.
Why You Must Maintain Your Furnace
Most Yorkton residents don’t think much about their home heating during the spring and summer months, but they should. To safeguard against heating failure during winter, and to extend the lifespan of your system for as long as possible, you must conduct routine maintenance on your heater like you would any other machine - especially in the off-season.
Most of the problems that crop upstart out as minor annoyances, but quickly grow into costly repairs if left unattended. Regular heater maintenance helps you to find and fix these issues now, thus saving you a headache down the road.
At Vetted HVAC Services, we have maintenance plans for virtually all makes and models of heaters. Call us as soon as fall begins to schedule a furnace tune-up to ensure your system is ready to work when winter sets in.
Proper Heater Maintenance
The furnace or heater is the most significant energy expense in your house and accounts for approximately 45% of the average household energy bill. The high cost of running your heater is a good reason to keep it in tip-top shape so it runs efficiently. Here are a few suggestions for keeping your heater running well throughout the winter:
- Replace the Filter: A dirty air filter impedes airflow into the system and makes it work harder. An overworked heater will fail prematurely, so clean or replace the filter every month or more often if you have pets or a smoker in the house.
- Check the Blower Motor: The blower motor is responsible for moving air through the heat exchanger, and has many working parts. Make sure the blower motor runs smoothly and watch for signs of problems like noises and electrical issues.
- Reduce the Workload: Reducing the amount of work your heater has to perform increases its lifespan and makes it more efficient. Seal leaks in your house and beef up insulation to retain more heat.
- Keep vents free from obstruction: When the air can’t circulate properly through the house, it puts stress on your heater.
- Schedule annual maintenance: Once a year, preferably in the fall, call a heating repair company and ask for their heater maintenance service.
Make sure your ducts are clean with our air duct repair service.
Signs You Need Furnace Repair
The best way to prevent furnace failure is to get to know the warning signs that your system is headed downhill. Fixing small problems before they balloon into large ones is crucial to keeping your heater or furnace healthy. Here’s what to watch for.
- Odd Noises: If you hear the furnace grinding or squealing while it’s running, call for a repair right away.
- Low Heat: If the air coming out of the furnace is lukewarm or cold, don’t wait or hope that it will fix itself.
- Foul Odours: Burning smells could indicate burnt wiring and musty odours could mean that you have mould buildup.